Do you ever feel like every part of you wants to move forward, break out of a rut. Like you’re tired of the same old, same old. You may even be bored with yourself!! Then there are those feelings of being sorry for yourself – "what’s wrong with me," "everyone else is getting ahead," "it’s embarrassing, what am I doing wrong?" You’re not doing anything wrong – you just need a fresh perspective and to try something new. Today we’re talking about 5 ways to bust out of that rut.
1. What’s the opposite of what you want? Part of it may be that you don’t have a clear direction. First this is not a bad thing. It means that you are percolating - making the space for something new. You may not know what that is yet and that’s OK. So let’s start with how you don’t want to live because that may be easier to access. For example:
• I know I don’t want to be glued to my computer 24/7, or feel stuck taking care
of others all the time.
• I don’t want to be around a nasty environment.
• I cannot being stuck in traffic for hours of my day, that doesn’t work for me.
Then think of the opposite:
• To be happy I need space from the computer, or time away from always caring for others.
• I must have or create a positive environment.
• I absolutely need a shorter commute and a few minutes in nature.
Think of yourself as the architect of your life – these elements are foundational.
2. Find Your Formula: Here’s a fascinating formula from a book called 3 Feet From Gold. (P+T) x A x A It combines your passion and talent, magnified by your action. Done with intention, it leads you to success AND fulfillment.
• On a paper write the heading “passions” on one side, and make a list of 10 passions.
• On the other side, write the word “talents” and list 1-10 things you are good at.
• Then sit down with people who know you well and remove one from each list till you are left with 1 from the passion side and 1 from the talent side.
• Brainstorm ideas of how you would combine those 2 things , and then find a way to take action along with the right association. This leads you to your success equation.
3. Analyze your narrative: What kind of story are you telling yourself. Life is hard, I don’t have the skills, I can’t catch a break, I’m not good at money, relationships,
relaxing…whatever it may be. Become aware of the internal beliefs you are holding. Then ask yourself – who would I be without that, what would open up for me, what if I believed that I CAN find a way. If you were writing a new ending for the story of your best friend, how would you switch it up? Change the narrative and you change your life.
4. Daily Lifestyle Habits: What habits do you practice every day – when do you get up, what do you eat, how do you relate to others, what do you watch. These are the habits you have. Now what are the habits you desire? Simply choose one to switch up. I always recommend starting a gratitude practice (because it is that easy and that effective if maintained even over short periods of time). And try to get enough sleep.
5. Take Micro-actions (from the Ask Method by Ryan Levesque) – the smaller the better.
The idea is simple, If you want to exercise, don’t sign up for a marathon. Just put the shoes near your bed and put them on. The next day, walk around the house. The day after that get the mail. The day after that walk to the corner – you’ll soon be saying, “I’m out already, might as well walk around the block." The momentum builds without you forcing it. If you want your kids to clean up their toys, have them pick up one, then throw it in the bin, that was easy. Next day pick up another toy, can they do 2? Soon the whole room is clean.
We all get into ruts. The key is to try not to pressure yourself too hard to get out of them. Try one of the methods above to start moving in the right direction. Change takes time and a little bit of effort, but it is worth it to look back at the end of the day and realize you are making progress to where you want to be.
Sign up for my 7-Day FREE Emotional Empowerment Challenge! Change your relationship with your emotions. Remove the obstacles that are keeping you from reaching your goals!